May 13th, 2010
|10:27 pm - Brief life update ...|
In bullet points, because "No, there is too much. Let me sum up." :
1. Work is busy. Busybusybusy. One of our team of five is away this week and next, and one of the others joined our team last week, and we suddenly have Lots Of Stuff Happening. Whee.
2. Kitchen is done ! Except for one patch of floor, where I tried laying some of our spare vinyl tiles, but got the timing wrong and they didn't stick flat; and painting, required on some new sections of wall and cornicing, and around the windows. See rwrylsin's post for photos.
3. Still cycling to work regularly (trying for three times per week; will be interesting to see how that holds up as winter sets in, but I finally found shoe covers to fit my shoes). I haven't had a seat on a City Loop-bound train on the way to work in ... months, I think. And getting a seat (versus getting sardined) on the way home is usually a function of getting out of work very late. So even with rain, wind, and Melbourne drivers to contend with, cycling is becoming the more attractive proposition.
4. As a side-effect of either the cycling, or our time living in Scotland, I seem to be running warm most of the time - I go for walks at lunch-time (ok, brisk walks) in short sleeves and everyone else seems to be rugged up in coats and scarves and wooly things.
5. I'm still mostly making it along to fencing once per week. The result from the last tournament suggests that it's time to do more fencing - but at the moment, that would require spare time and energy from the work and cycling. Also, I'm still taking it easy on my knees - cycling seems to help them, fencing often doesn't.
6. The other day, I realised that Disintegration (by The Cure, of course) hadn't made it into my music library yet. That was soon rectified, and I have to say ... what a great album. Seems to fit the Autumn weather perfectly, too ...
7. munchkinstein is in Melbourne ! Hopefully we'll catch up tomorrow and go do ... stuff. Although rwrylsin is getting a Bonus! 8-hour work day on Saturday, hopefully we can work around that ...
8. Planning to visit Adelaide over the Queen's Birthday weekend - a spot of fencing, and a bit of catching up with family and friends.
9. rwrylsin is having a spot of Mac trouble. OS X 10.3 on her laptop isn't connecting to our WiFi network, and even wired network isn't co-operating. She can't upgrade to the latest (10.6 ?) because it's an old G4 Powerbook and doesn't really have the power to cope. Any suggestions ? (apart from "buy a new Mac laptop" :-) )
(and another technical issue - if one were, purely hypothetically speaking, to download episodes of a TV show (whose initials might be B. B. T.), why would the downloaded files appear to be complete, but only play for 18 to 21 minutes in VLC ? Hypothetically speaking, of course ... )
Current Mood: tired
Current Music: Disintegration - The Cure
Much of that sounds cool! I'm too new with Macs to offer much of use re the wireless issue...
With the hypothetically downloaded TV, my first suggestion would be to go to the site it was grabbed from, and check the comments on that torrent (hypothetically of course). Whenever this happens to me it's almost always just a dodgy file, and if it is others will have complained loudly about it. If there are no complaints, I'd suggest grabbing the latest CCCP codec pack (or similar) and updating VLC. Also, the last time I ran across this it was because I'd not noticed that the download wasn't complete...so...um...check for that kind of silliness!
Upgrade to 10.4? A G4 PowerBook should handle that OK.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking.
I think I have seen the exact problem recently - some form of wireless authentication issue - and the answer was indeed to upgrade to 10.4