May 7th, 2007


(no subject)

Ahh, Monday. A quiet Monday at work, in fact, since about half the team here, and most of the people who are likely to call us with work to do, are off on a bank holiday.

The weekend was fairly quiet too - shopped and gymmed on Saturday, started on recovering data from a dying hard drive in the evening, caught up on some more BSG (7 episodes to go in S3).
I also went back and found and tagged most of my posts which have photos in them - you can see them here. I should do other tags for fencing and touristing and stuff, but that's going to be much more work.

Notes to self, I: When you disconnect one IDE drive because you need its power connecter to hook up an old drive that you're trying to recover data from, remember to set the master/slave jumper on the old drive correctly. Otherwise it looks like it has completely died, rather than just the start of the disk being unusable (thus no partition tables).

Notes to self, II: When trying to create a disk image of a 120Gb drive (which is dying in various ways), make sure that it is using DMA first. Transfer rate went from 250Mb/minute to 2Gb/minute ... eventually. Could have saved myself a few hours there.

Note to others : It looks like most of the partition recovery tools in Linux assume that the drive is still functional. rescuept doesn't - so you can get an image of a dying disk with "dd" and then find the partitions from the image and then mount them using loopback filesystem (with an offset into the file) - but it has a 2Gb file size limit (!). I found the source and hacked in #defines for __USE_LARGEFILES64 and __FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 and added O_LARGEFILE to the open call, and recompiled it. Amazingly, it worked !

Collapse )
  • Current Mood
    geeky geeky